In pursuance of the National Action Plan of the NAAC, Bangalore, for performance, evaluation and assessment and accreditation quality up gradation of Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs), the NAAC proposes that every accredited institution should establish an Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) as a post accreditation quality sustenance measure. The Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), an internal quality assurance mechanism of the institution is conceived as a mechanism to build and ensure a quality culture at the institutional level. Every HEI should have an internal quality assurance system, with appropriate structure and processes, and with enough flexibility to meet the diverse needs of the stakeholders. The IQAC is meant for planning, guiding and monitoring Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Enhancement (QE) activities of the HEIs. The IQAC may channelise and systematize the efforts and measures of an institution towards academic excellence. It should not be yet another hierarchical structure or record-keeping exercise in the institution; it would be a facilitative and participative organ of the institution. The IQAC should become a driving force for ushering in quality by working out intervention strategies to remove deficiencies and enhance quality.
The IQAC shall have the following composition: a) Head of the HEI – Chairperson; b) Five (in case of a College) or eight (in case of a University) senior teachers and one senior administrative official – Members; c) Two (in case of a College) or three (in case of a University) external experts on Quality Management/Industry/Local Community – Members; and, d) Director/Coordinator of IQAC – Member Secretary.
The members at b) and c) of the above shall be nominated by the Head of the HEI in consultation with the academic body of the HEI (Academic Council of a University or Academic Committee of a College). The membership of such nominated members shall be for a period of two years. The IQAC should meet at least once in a quarter. The quorum for the meeting shall be two-third of the total number of members. The agenda, minutes and Action Taken Reports are to be documented with official signatures and maintained electronically in a retrievable format.
According to the National Action Plan of NAAC, the Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) of Gossaigaon College, Gossaigaon was formed in the year 2005 for maintaining the momentum of quality consciousness in the institution. As a nodal agency of the institution it plans, guides and monitors quality awareness and quality enhancement activities of the college.
|ii) Member from Senior Administrative Officers||
|iii) Members from Teaching Staff||
|iv) Member from the Management
|v) Member from the Alumni
|vi) Member from the Employer
As highlighted in the UGC Guidelines, the goals of IQAC shall be: 1). To develop a quality system for conscious, consistent and catalytic programmed action to improve the academic and administrative performance of the HEIs; and, 2). To promote measures for institutional functioning towards quality enhancement through internalization of quality culture and institutionalization of best practices. To achieve these goals, the functions of IQAC shall be:
- Development and application of quality benchmarks/parameters for the various academic and administrative activities of the institution;
- Facilitating the creation of a learner-centric environment conducive for quality education for participatory teaching and learning process;
- Arrangement for feedback responses from students, parents and other stakeholders on quality-related institutional processes;
- Dissemination of information on the various quality parameters of higher education;
- Organization of inter and intra institutional workshops, seminars and discussions on quality related themes and promotion of quality circles;
- Documentation of the various programmes/activities of the institution, leading to quality improvement;
- Acting as a nodal agency of the institution for coordinating quality-related activities, including adoption and dissemination of good practices;
- Preparation of the Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR) of the institution based on the quality parameters/assessment criteria developed by the relevant quality assurance body (like NAAC, NBA, AB) in the prescribed format;
All Universities and Colleges which are under section 2(f) & 12B of the UGC Act will be eligible to receive the financial support for establishing and strengthening of the IQACs in them. The UGC will provide seed money during the XI plan of Rs.5.00 lakh to each University and Rs.3.00 lakhs to each College as one time grant, to meet the establishment and strengthening expenditure of the IQAC. The expenditure can be incurred on following items:
|Financial Allocation on IQAC for Five Years (in Rs.)|
|Sl. No.||Purpose of the Grant||University||College/ Institution|
|1||Honorarium to the Director/Co-ordinator, IQAC @Rs. 1000x12x5||60,000/-||60,000/-|
|3||Hiring Services for Secretarial & Technical Services||1,80,000/-||60,000/-|
|4||ICTs Communication Expenses||80,000/-||70,000/-|